A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Mucocele

A couple of months ago I noticed that Nick had a large bump on his lip.


I wasn't sure if this was within the realm of a dentist or a doctor, so when Katheryn went for a dentist appointment, they looked at Nick's lip as well.
She said that it looked like it was a mucocele, and if it didn't get better she gave me a referral to a dental pathologist.
I had done my own internet/google search and that is what I had thought it was as well. It was not tender and didn't seem to bother him at all. So I waited another month, hoping it would go away, and then called for the referral.


We went to the dental pathologist last week. It measures at 10mmx10mmx5mm deep. And she recommended to remove it.

A mucocele develops after some type of damage to the salivary gland (either a bump on the lip from the outside, or biting from the inside). This caused the gland to rupture and a collection of fluid created the bubble. It could grow bigger if it is damaged again, it is unlikely to go away on its own. (from what the dentist said, because it went deep... even though Dr Google says it could go away on its own.. and it's been a couple of months with no change).

We talked about what would be involved in removing it. And decided on local freezing and nitrous gas. Nick didn't have any questions at all.

But when we got home he was very upset and said he didn't want to do it. The only thing that helped him calm down was a promise we would go to McDonalds before, and that I would be with him.


He was very good and quiet when we got to the dentist. But answered all the questions. We found out at the very last minute that I wouldn't be able to stay with him (I am not sure why I hadn't asked before). He started to get upset, but no tears, when the nitrous was on he was brave. When he took some big breathes and started closing his eyes (and had his Joker and Batman on his fingers) I left.
About 20 minutes later they called me back in.
Nick was good. No tears, they said he was their best patient of the day!

And they spoiled him with the treasure box of toys. I think he took 10 different things from the box home! They kept saying "you don't have that one..." and let him pick more toys.

Right now he has 3 small stitches in his inner lip. He's been having a bit of pain and taking Tylenol, and having soft foods for the night. But I sent him to school this morning

We go back in 2 weeks to confirm that it was a mucocele (they do a biopsy) and make sure it is healing.
They took out the one gland and a couple surrounding it (there are thousands in the mouth). And he will have a scar once it heals. I am hoping that it won't return, but it could.

No comments:

Post a Comment